Auditions for Ragtime!
Bring sheet music for your audition song. An accompanist will
be provided. Movement and some dance will be required.
- Coalhouse Walker, Jr (lead)
- African-American male. 25-35 (baritone with strong top range; range: A♭ to G, with a sustained high F♯)
intense dance; pianist; proud, confident, and stubborn.
- Sarah (lead)
- African-American female. Late teens-early 20's (lyric soprano; range: low G♯ to high F♯ on staff)
- Mother (lead)
- Anglo-American female. 30+ (lyric soprano; range: low G to high E♭ on staff) gentle, compassionate, optimistic
- Father (lead)
- Anglo-American male. 40+ (baritone; range: B to E on staff) cautious; resistant to change; somewhat bigoted
- Mother's Younger Brother (lead)
- Anglo-American male. 20-25+ (tenor/baritone with strong top range: B to high F♯ passionate anarchist; intense and
- Tateh (lead)
- Eastern European/Jewish Immigrant male. 30+, slight accent (tenor; range: D♭ to high F♯) intelligent,
- Little Boy (supporting) Mother's son
- Anglo-American male. 8-12 (juvenile voice; range: E to D♭ on staff) precocious and curious
- Little Girl (supporting) Tateh's daughter
- Eastern European/Jewish Immigrant female. 8-12 (juvenile voice; range: E to D♭: on the staff) quiet and shy.
- Sarah's Friend (supporting)
- African-American female. Late teens - 30. (Gospel lyric-soprano or alto range: low G to stratosphere scat top note)
- Emma Goldman (cameo - historical)
- Eastern European/Jewish Immigrant female/Anarchist. 40+, slight accent. (alto, range: low G♯
to D♭ on staff)
- Harry Houdini (cameo - historical)
- Hungarian Immigrant male/Magician/athletic build. 30+ (tenor; range: mid. C to high G)
- Evelyn Nesbit (cameo - historical)
- Anglo-American female. Vaudevillian performer. 18-25 (belter/soprano, range: middle C to
D♭ on staff) dancer preferred.
- Grandfather (cameo) (Mother's father)
- Anglo-American male. 55+ (some "speak sung" lyrics, baritone) gruff and outspoken.
- Booker T. Washington (cameo - historical)
- African-American male, distinguished. 45+ (some "speak sung" lyrics, baritone)
- Henry Ford (cameo - historical)
- Anglo-American male. 30-45 (some "speak sung" lyrics, baritone)
- J. P. Morgan (cameo - historical)
- Anglo-American male; banking mogul. 45+ (some "speak sung" lyrics, baritone)
- Little Coalhouse (cameo)
- Walk-on at end of show. African-American male. Age 3-4 (no spoken lines or singing)
- Additional Cameos
- Admiral Peary, Stanford White, Harry K. Thaw, Willie Conklin, Judge, train conductor (double in ensembles)
- New Rochelle Ensemble
- Immigrant Ensemble
- European immigrants
- Harlem Ensemble